Friday, April 24, 2015

Kyoto Rains & Julia Eats

Julia sent us an email with a few delicious details!

My classes are Japanese language (Mon-Fri), Japanese Culture (Thursdays) and Intercultural Communication (Mondays). Japanese is mostly review at this point. My classes are only scheduled monthly, so some of them may change at the end of each month (like the classes that only meet once a week). My program is Japanese Language and Culture and the language portion is likely to stay the same all the way through August, but the culture courses are like to change more frequently.

I tried to buy a phone yesterday, but the vending machine wouldn't accept my credit card.
yes- you buy your phone from a vending machine...
The people working there were very polite and apologetic and gave me and Ariana (one of the exchange students who came along to get her phone plan changed) free tea. You could only pay in credit at that particular store, so long story short is, I still didn't get my phone. There are a couple of other places I can try instead…

There's a koi pond on campus. If you stand at the edge of it, the fish will swim over to where you're standing and say, "Feed us, human!" Okay, they don't actually say that, but they're clearly thinking it. I'm going to name all of them. 

I've been making a lot of soups for myself. I bought a bunch of different kinds of noodles, and I've been throwing them together with eggs, vegetables, and tofu. My grocery shopping process is basically:

“Do I know what it is?
 Is it vegetarian?
And…

Do I know HOW to eat it?”

 If the answer to those three questions is "Yes," then I buy it.

Other than an inexplicable craving for chips and salsa, I haven't had an issue with missing foods from home. I have plenty of stuff to experiment with!


This Giant Crab- kind of Famous in Osaka- sits above the crowds in a major shopping area... Julia took the photo when she visited the neighborhood in early April.

Editor Mom here: I went searching online and found all sorts of great looking Japanese recipes that Julia might be able to make with her ingredients on hand; especially tasty-looking is this Udon egg soup!

Ingredients (for two)
·         Udon Noodles – 200 g. (use dry udon, avoid the “fresh” pre-cooked kind you sometimes see in Asian stores)
·         Napa Cabbage – a few leaves
·         Spring Onion – one
·         Konbu – one small section
·         Eggs – two
·         Dashi – 3 teaspoons
·         Sake – one tablespoon
·         Soy sauce – one teaspoon
·         Salt – one teaspoon
·         Tenkasu – tempura bits
Preparation
·         Chop the napa cabbage horizontally, thin
·         Chop the spring onion
Cooking
Set up two separate pots, one large one (to cook the noodles), the other one smaller (to make the soup)
1.       Fill the large pot with water and bring to a boil 
2.      Cook the noodles for two minutes less than the instructions in the package suggest. (Usually the package says to cook the udon 12 minutes – if so, cook it for 10.) Do not add salt to the cooking water, Udon is already salted. 
3.      When the Udon is finished cooking, drain it and rinse it with cold water. Use your hands to rub off the slimy residue (after this udon becomes “al dente”).  
4.      Shake well in the strainer to get rid of excess water. Set aside.
5.       Put two cups of cold water in the smaller pot, place a piece of konbu in it, then bring it to a boil
6.      Once the smaller pot boils, add three teaspoons of dashi, the tablespoon of sake, the teaspoon of soy sauce and a teaspoon of salt. The broth for Udon soup should have more dashi and be saltier than the broth for osuimono.
7.       Add the napa cabbage 
8.      Add the now cool udon into the broth.
9.      Once the broth boils again, crack open the two eggs and pour them over the Udon – be sure the yolks are a few centimeters apart so they can be served separately.
10.   Add the spring onions
11.    Cover and cook over a low fire for 1 or 2 minutes – ideally, the egg yolk should still be runny at the end of the process
12.   Ladle the broth and noodles onto large bowls, then place one egg yolk on top of each bowl. (That’ll be the “moon” we’re watching!) Be very careful to keep the egg yolks intact.
13.   Sprinkle with tenkasu if you like.
14.   Serve right away: udon needs be eaten hot.

Interesting Tidbit: when eating Udon you are suppose to slurp! It cools the noddles as they go in! Enjoy!

Julia took this photo outside the Aquarium in Osaka- That's one BIG Ferris Wheel!

Julia has had a few technical difficulties with ATM machines in and around Kyoto, so here's a link that might help. (Plus the guy who does it is kind of humorous...He takes his "Intro to Japanese ATMs" seriously!)
I think this would intimidate me...



And now- here's more from Julia’s recent email:


Rainy season has officially started. It's been raining roughly every other day, though luckily only for an hour or two at a time. Humidity is increasing as well, but it's not anywhere close to Florida-levels. 
Friday evening, I went to a welcome party for new students on campus. I got there early, so I went to say “hi” to the fishies before the event started. When I got to the pond, someone else was already there: a black and white cat, who was watching the fish and looking very serious. I'm pretty sure she was a stray, because she was skinny and did not want to be petted. But now I know where to leave cat food.


 The welcome party itself was fun. There were delicious desserts and a yummy vegetarian sushi (cucumber slices instead of tuna). I talked with two girls from Malaysia for most of it. We're all in the same dorm, but we hadn't spoken before due to all of us being shy. 

Saturday, Arianna and I went to an event for Doshisha freshman considering study abroad. All the current exchange students were invited so that the freshman could talk to us about our countries and the study abroad process, but not everyone went. Arianna and I ended up staying after the event ended so we could keep talking to two Doshisha students who were considering studying in California. We exchanged Facebook information with them, so that we can set up a time to meet and talk again. 
I found a recipe for Okonomiyaki that I can modify to make vegetarian! I bought the ingredients yesterday, so tonight, I'm going to try making it. 
Okonomiyaki- a regional specialty of the Osaka and Kyoto areas, usually made with a base of Napa Cabbage (like a potato pancake, but bigger).

 In other food news, I've discovered I really like red bean paste. There's a conbini nearby that sells a delicious breakfast thing that looks like a sandwich made from two pancakes with red bean paste in the middle. I have no idea what it's called, but it's really good. 
http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/dorayaki-japanese-red-bean-pancake/

Say hi to the animals for me!
Love you all,
Julia


Dorayaki is the sandwich with red bean paste! Conveniently, Mom found the recipe online and is sending it to Julia in her first care package which is on its way this weekend!!! With Chips and Salsa!
Meanwhile,if you want to watch someone make Julia's new favorite food, click the link and enjoy the show!




 making taiyaki video… cute! Taiyaki is another similar Red Bean Paste snack. Red Bean Paste is called Anko, in Japanese!
Sayonara!















No comments:

Post a Comment